First things first. I did rub-off a pattern for my Garnet Hill inspired dress. I then proceeded to cut out fabric, sew it up and even though the dress itself will work, the color scheme looks really really drab and sad on me. So I’ve put this project off to the side for now until I have the wherewithall to possibly toss it and start anew. This is life. Onwards and upwards.
I’ve really just wanted to sew some dresses is the thing. This is a weird thing for me because well, I’m such a practical person these days. But a dress can be practical. Especially with a white stretch cotton blazer – which is the project directly next after this dress. Yes! So I went to my stash and dug out this Simplicity 1654 pattern. I had actually forgotten how much I love Simplicity patterns. Of the Big 4, this line fits me the best straight from the envelope (note I said fits me the best, we still have a few fitting problems, just not as many as the other Big 4). I find that with McCalls, Butterick and Vogue the armholes are cut so low! Is that just me? So it was nice not to have to deal with that for a change.
This pattern has some great design lines. The bodice is just killer! And since I know that a skirt like that will require little to no fitting, I muslined the bodice to see where we were at. The fit was actually quite good through the bust and waist, but the straps were trying to fall off my shoulders. And its not that they were too wide/far apart, it was the angle at which they were sitting on the body. So I thought I would show you what I did to fix it. I pinched out the excess pooling that was happening when I put the straps where I wanted them to be. That pooling happened at an angle at the bust and shoulder blade. See?
How do you fix that on a the pattern piece. It’s the same idea really. I measured how much I pinched out, then slashed and overlapped that amount in those areas of the bodice that I pinched out with pins on the muslin. It’s not a hard fix by any means, but I wouldn’t go so far as to say that its intuitive. This is something that I’m always amazed by, but when fitting, many times the part that needs fixing is not the part that we intuitively feel needs the fix. Just some random fitting thoughts.
I’ve settled on an aqua linen to make this up in (fabric from the shop, now online! yay!). I’m actually nearly finished with the dress itself, so here’s a sneak peek.
Now off to line and hem the thing. And then to focus on a white stretch cotton jacket. Yay!