There comes a time in every woman's life (I might be prone to exaggerate just a tad) that she has to face the need for new underpinnings. I don't know about you, but for me this is such a needle in a haystack. I can look forever and ever for just the right bra or just the right underwear or as the case may be, just the right slip. And correct me if I'm wrong, but especially in the slip department, there are some serious, serious deficits. Even if you can find something, it's usually an arm and a leg, or it's just....grose.
Well, I couldn't even find anything. Nothing. Not a thing. I've looked. I've scoured. I've even tried to find vintage slips at the thrift and right now, there seems to be a serious slip MIA because I finally decided to stop wasting my time and energy and just make something! Personally, I have nothing against making underpinnings of any kind, I just usually always opt to make something else first. But when the need arises, I'll rise to the occasion.
I had purchased Gertie's Butterick 6031 awhile back. I was out with my mom and we were getting a few patterns from the local JoAnn. I couldn't resist this particular pattern because the slips just look so pretty on the model and with some things I make, I do like to wear a slip. I waited several weeks before I even picked up the pattern again and decided that it needed to be made. I just finished up a wool knit wrap dress and was in desperate need of a nice slip to wear underneath.
I pulled out my fabric and found a few micro jerseys to choose from (where I find all this fabric, I have no idea, sometimes it feels like it just magically appears). This is the fabric that Gertie recommends as per her sewalong and I had picked up the nude from Emma One Sock and the grey/blue and lavender from a local fabric shop (Designer's Resource, if you live here in SLC). There are a few other fabrics that I think would work wonderfully in this pattern, namely swimsuit fabric and/or lining. I've seen some of those at the local JoAnn and do think they would do a marvelous job, but if you're looking for these micro jerseys be on the lookout from something that falls away from the skin, feels cool to the touch and is usually a polyester and spandex blend. Usually something like 92% polyester and 8% spandex. They stretch in both directions but recover immediately.
Anyway, once the fabric was set, all that was left was finding all the notions that one needs for this project. I can see why Gertie did kits for this because there are several things that you need. I happened to have leftover stretch lace from my shop - a blessing since this calls for quite a bit. I actually forgot that I had picot edge elastic and instead used some swimsuit elastic for my first slip and just folded over the elastic and did that fancy straight stitch zig-zag. I had to send off for the strap elastic and rings and sliders (bramakerssupply.com) but I was pleasantly surprised with the quick shipping. For my first rendition I used the strap elastic for the whole of the strap as I didn't have any of the right width of stretch lace and then for my second and third rendition, I got on a comfort soapbox and tried something else. For those, I opted to make a strap from swimsuit elastic that was encased in the matching micro jersey. First I attached to one edge with a zig-zag and then then folded over twice and did the fancy straight stitch zig-zag. Uber, uber comfy and doesn't cut into my shoulder (I am so picky about comfort, it's almost ridiculous!). Stole the idea from a bra I love.
And then I just made silly little bows from the outrageous amount of ribbon I have and voila! Done! I made the third - the nude version - in about 3 hours time, cut to finish. Addicting for sure and a project that I highly recommend. While I don't look like the model in the finished slips (yup, I have a tummy!!!) I still feel pretty, they do the job and they are so comfortable. All wins in my book!
If you're interested, here's my full review. And now, off to make another wrap dress before I put it all together.