November 26, 2012

Winter Coat for My Man: Progress

I thought I would give you all a sneaky peak of what's happening with the coat these days. It's pretty crazy that I've made it thus far, well I think its pretty crazy. Do you ever find yourself making something that you never really thought you would make? I don't know why, but that's kind of how I feel about this coat. Not in a bad way or anything, just thinking out loud a bit. Anyway, after several rounds of Bridget Jones's Diary, Groundhog Day, Lord of the Rings Trilogy and North & South I have a shell constructed (and yes, I totally watch movies when I'm sewing).
This coat has not been without its trials either. The bad first. Even after two muslins, this coat was a little tight in the hip area after putting the shell together without the sleeves. I was horrified. Yes. Horrified! Then I slept on it and I thought that the true test of my diligence in sewing is how I go about fixing problems like this. So, I inserted two inch wide panels in the princess seams in the back. Inserted them godet style at that. Oddly enough, I like it even better than the original and so does the mister. We both agreed that the panels add visual interest and you would never really realize that this was a mistake per se but more of a design element.
That shoulder overlay piece nearly put me in my grave. Of course I didn't add this piece when I was supposed to - when it would have been easier to apply. Instead, it was added after I had attached the sleeves and sewn in the side back seams. So I stitched the thing on by hand. Oh my gosh! It took me the entire extended edition of The Fellowship of the Ring to get through. Then of course, the front parts weren't level so I went about unpicking and doing part of it again.
There are several points on which I differed from the original pattern too. Firstly, I ditched the patch pockets for welt ones instead. There are other coats in the book that have welt pockets so I just stole a pocket from one of them and set to work deciphering the craziness that was the welt pocket. Sheesh. I ended up just picking the parts that I felt were necessary for normal welt pockets and then applying them to the coat. They worked out pretty well I think.
I also added in a zipper to the center front. I actually have an old Gap toggle coat that has this very thing and I've loved that coat! Not only do I love the toggle part, but there's a zipper to keep out the extra cold Utah weather. So I thought it would be a great option for the mister's coat too. The zipper does not extend all the way down the center front, but instead just to a point where it would be easy to zip it up - about 23 inches. The bottom part is left free hanging so that the wearer has room to walk - ha ha!
I'm also lining the entire coat too and so I lined the hood and added a string just in case Mr. S needed extra protection from the cold and/or snowy weather. I have yet to put on the toggles, the next step actually, but I was getting a little giddy that I was a little more than halfway through this project and really wanted to snap some photos and show you all.
Hope you all had a wonderful weekend! We did! Even got a new camera on Black Friday - and it has video capability! Hip Hip Hooray! Oh I've got some fun stuff up the sleeve for you guys! Yay!
© A Fashionable Stitch. All rights reserved.