OK! Enough about that! Its time we moved onto the most important subject at hand. The Ginger Sewalong. Oh Ladies, you are in for such a real treat! I can't even begin to tell you just how excited I am. And I'm even more excited that so many of you are joining in because you are a beginning sewist. I can't tell you how happy that makes me! I've been receiving so much feedback about it, so I thought I would give you a teaser today and give you a run down of how I envision this happening and what actually will be happening. OK? Ok.
The Beginner's First Ginger Sewalong starts this coming Monday, May 16. The perspectives, inspiration and tutorials will last for two weeks. Does that mean that you have to have your skirt done in two weeks? No, it doesn't. I'm just trying to give you quick little blasts of information that will be there for you when/while you are sewing. You are welcome to join along anytime you wish - even if that includes 3 or 6 or 9 months from now too. Here's a more detailed look at what will be going on come Monday:
- May 16 - Opening post
- May 17 - Tasia, the Sewaholic, gives us a dish on the best fabrics for an A-line skirt of this sort
- May 18 - Sarai, from Colette Patterns (the Ginger's pattern drafting company) gives us a look at the modern history of the A-line skirt
- May 19 - Casey, from Elegant Musings, shares some of her authentic inspiration and style for A-line skirts
- May 20 - pre-laundering tips
- May 23 - picking your size, pattern adjustments and muslin fitting
- May 24 - cutting the final fabric, working with stripes & bias cut sewing tips
- May 25 - inserting an invisible zipper
- May 26 - a special couture technique from Gertie's Blog for Better Sewing & finishing off the waistband area
- May 27 - hemming and finishing
The next two weeks will be littered with tips geared just for beginners too. They'll look like the tip pictured here for you not to forget to buy the pattern, if you haven't already. At the end of the two weeks of sewing, I'll let you guys finish up things before we have a little Ginger Party where I'll be showing you the Gingers I made and let you guys show off yours as well. That date will be set for June 2, which is about a week after the sewalong finishes which should give you plenty of time to finish things up. Now, how does that all sound?
In addition, I've created a flickr group. Jump on over and become a member. You'll have the chance to post your fabric selections, muslins, questions, discussions and finished projects there. Only Ginger skirt stuff OK? Alright.
Let me also state, because I've been asked a few times, you don't need a blog to participate. I think you'll benefit more from the sewalong though, if you have a flickr account and post photos to the group. We're all here to help each other out too! So chime in with tips and ideas too.
OK! That wraps it up. Get ready for next week! Be there or be square!